Graduation Literacy Assessment (For Grade 12 Students) - November 3, 2023
The BC Graduation Program includes provincial assessments in the areas of Numeracy and Literacy. These assessments are prepared by the BC Ministry of Education and must be written by all students as a part of their graduation requirements. All students are required to write the following three provincial assessments prior to graduation: Numeracy 10, Literacy 10, and Literacy 12.
This year, graduation assessments will be written at McNair Secondary School on the following dates:
- Graduation Literacy Assessment 12 (GLA 12) for all grade 12 students on November 3, 2023
- Graduation Literacy Assessment 10 (GLA 10) for all grade 10 students on January 23, 2024
- Graduation Numeracy Assessment 10 (GNA 10) for all grade 10 students on April 18, 2024
In order for our students to complete these important assessments, their school day will look different on their assessment dates. This schedule for these days is included below. Prior to each of these dates, students will have the opportunity to learn about the format of the assessments as well as strategies for understanding the information presented and answering the questions asked. Further details of this preparation are included below.
Here are some important things to know about these assessments:
- The GLA 10, GNA 10, and GLA 12 are requirements for graduation.
- Students are assessed on a four point proficiency scale: Emerging, Developing, Proficient and Extending
- There is no “pass” or “fail” – students must write the assessments in order to meet the BC graduation requirements. Students will have a chance to rewrite these assessments on future dates to be determined by the Ministry of Education.
- Assessment results are not blended with any subject as was the case with past provincial examinations. The results stand alone on the student’s transcript.
GRADUATION LITERACY ASSESSMENT 12 - NOVEMBER 3, 2023
All current grade 12 students will be writing their Literacy Assessments. These assessments will be completed according to the schedule below and will replace Block A, Flex, and a portion of the Block B class that students would normally attend at the time of the assessment. Specific locations for students to write will be posted around the school closer to the day of the assessment.
All other students will attend Block A,
Flex, and Block B as usual
|8:30 am||11:30 am|
As students finish their assessments, they are asked to
return to their in-progress Block B class.
By the end of the block, all students will have returned to their classes.
|10:25 am||11:35 am|
|BLOCK C||11:55 am||1:05 pm|
|BLOCK D||1:50 pm||3:00 pm|
WHAT IS MCNAIR DOING TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR THE GLA 12?
As the content of the assessment is drawn from multiple subject areas, our approach includes having different subject area teachers prepare students. The preparation is divided into two part:
- Numeracy skills have been embedded throughout the curriculum in all subject areas on an ongoing basis.
- During Flex on October 26, 2023, McNair Administration will offer a session to review the structure of the assessment. The presentation will include visual images of the assessment screens, the assessment structures, reference pages, etc. Information will also be given in terms of strategies to prepare for the assessment.
HOW ELSE SHOULD STUDENTS PREPARE?
To find out more, including a sample Assessments, students can visit:
We strongly encourage our students to visit the websites listed above to watch the associated videos and take the sample assessment.
REQUIRED GRADUATION ASSESSMENTS
|10 - 12||